:: [devuan-dev] bug#583: lxc-templates…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Ryutaroh Matsumoto
CC: 583
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#583: lxc-templates: Devuan template for LXC
Ryutaroh,

Thanks for adding more background to this.

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 09:06:20AM +0900, Ryutaroh Matsumoto wrote:
> > Thanks for this. However Devuan doesn't fork any of the lxc pacakges and uses
> > Debian's pacakges directly without recompilation. This is probably best included
> > by submitting upstream, either to Debian or perhaps better
> > https://linuxcontainers.org/.
>
> I tend to disagree. Because
>
> * linuxcontainers.org dropped support of templates other then "download".
>    They actively maintain only the "download" template.
> * Now each distro. seems having responsibility to maintain its own version of
>    template, if that distro. is not satisfied with "download" template.
> * Debian package maintainers maintains the Debian template, see
> https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/l/lxc-templates/lxc-templates_3.0.4-5_changelog

Looking at
https://salsa.debian.org/lxc-team/lxc-templates/-/tree/debian/unstable/templates,
Debian also has support for many other distros. Asking them to include Devuan
would seem to get the best coverage.

Devuan doesn't fork lxc-templates. Even if we were to do so, only users of the
forked package would benefit from your suggested updates. If it is included in
Debian, then it will also benefit Debian itself and all derivatives.

Mark