:: Re: [DNG] ifupdown laptop wired/wif…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ifupdown laptop wired/wifi trick
Hi,

Didier Kryn writes:

> Le 25/05/2021 à 21:43, Mason Loring Bliss a écrit:
>> I've been managing network connections on my laptop by hand, and I was just
>> thinking that I'd like it to bring up its NICs automatically if it's
>> plugged in, but I didn't want to use ifplugd for various reasons, and
>> anyway, I like ifupdown and I want to stick with it.
>
> There's no contradiction between ifupdown and ifplugd; they work
> well together. I have been using both for decades. What I exclude is
> network-manager.

For those having qualms about using ifplugd, you can use netplug in its
stead. Works out of the box for eth* devices and you don't even need an
`auto eth0` or similar in /etc/network/interfaces.

# You may need to fiddle a bit when switching between wired and wireless
# though. Or when using both.
# Haven't looked at using mii-tool yet ...

Hope this helps,