:: Re: [DNG] Devuan eBook Reader
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan eBook Reader
On Tuesday 25 May 2021 at 05:25:41, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 09:32:49PM +0200, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > As for getting a standard GNU / Linux system onto eBook reader hardware,
> > I would say:
> >
> > a) very unlikely, given the storage capacity typically available
> >
> > b) very disappointing even if you manage, given the performance of eBook
> > reader CPUs, and especially eInk displays
>
> Yes, but if he does manage, he should be able to program an ebook rader
> that does what he wants instead of what the Chinese copany wants.
>
> > c) very inconvenient, assuming it's a device with a touch screen and no
> > Bluetooth or USB OTG mode (which would have enabled you to connect an
> > external mouse and/or keyboard).
>
> Early ebook readers from Kobo used a Linux kernel, and could be booted
> from an inserted SD card (they had a slot for this).

Indeed - I have several Tolino readers which have the same design. Later ones
(especially the water-resistant models) have no SD card slot (either internal
or external) and simply have firmware installed on soldered flash chips.

> Booting from inserted SD card was also how they did upgrades. Someone
> managed to write a simple game for it, after heavy reverse engineering.

Upgrades can also be done either by inserting an SD card with a correctly-
named file into the external card slot (where one exists), or by writing the
correctly-named file to internal storage using the USB cable (just as a mass-
storage device, no ADB needed) and then restarting the device.

> As far as I know no documentation was ever made available for those who
> wished to program the thing; in particular, there ws no documebtation
> for the screen and touch drivers.
>
> I have seen no such bootable slot in any of the current Kobo ebook
> readers.

There is documentation (some in English, some in German) on how to install a
standard app launcher on these devices so that you can make full use of the
native Android system (normally that's inaccessible, and only one app can be
used; the e-reader app). I have a Tolino Epos 1 which I've done this with,
for example, and it's quite a nice monochrome / greyscale Android "tablet" so
long as you accept that it is quite slow, the display is very slow, it has no
sound and no Bluetooth. For many applications these limitations do not
matter.

Regards,

Antony.

--
You can tell that the day just isn't going right when you find yourself using
the telephone before the toilet.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.