:: Re: [DNG] Devuan eBook Reader
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan eBook Reader
On Monday 24 May 2021 at 21:25:16, g4sra via Dng wrote:

> I am shocked at the amount of 'user profiling' the OEM firmware performs
> which is then sent to Chinese servers.

Sorry, but what are you talking about?

> I have temporarily knobbled the network until I find a more permanent
> solution.

Firewalls can work both ways :)

> Has anyone attempted to put Devuan on an eBook yet ?

I really think you need to tell us what hardware you're referring to.

As for getting a standard GNU / Linux system onto eBook reader hardware, I
would say:

a) very unlikely, given the storage capacity typically available

b) very disappointing even if you manage, given the performance of eBook
reader CPUs, and especially eInk displays

c) very inconvenient, assuming it's a device with a touch screen and no
Bluetooth or USB OTG mode (which would have enabled you to connect an external
mouse and/or keyboard).

There are, of course, many eBook readers running Android, but that's a far cry
from a full GNU / Linux setup.

Antony.

--
"The problem with television is that the people must sit and keep their eyes
glued on a screen; the average American family hasn't time for it."

- New York Times, following a demonstration at the 1939 World's Fair.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.