:: Re: [DNG] routing tables.
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] routing tables.
On Monday 17 May 2021 at 20:35:41, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> The first step is to use a browser to connect to http://192.168.1.1

The second step (in IP terms) is to connect *from* an address that 192.168.1.1
can reply to.

> Now that means I have to configure my routing tables so that packets to
> 192.168.1.1 will go to port ethv0, which is where the modem is
> connected.

Just add an address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range to your interface ethv0, and
it will (a) create the routing table entry for you, and (b) ensure that the
router can reply to your browser.

How to do that?

Old style: ifconfig ethv0:1 192.168.1.42

New style: ip addr add 192.168.1.42/24 dev ethv0

Once you're done:

Old: ifconfig ethv0:1 down

New: ip addr del 192.168.1.42/24 dev ethv0

Antony.

--
This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of caster
sugar. Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some decorative kiwi
fruit and cream. Then notify me immediately by return email and eat the