:: Re: [DNG] Collaboration between dis…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Collaboration between distros [WAS: FSF and human rights]
Alexis PM via Dng said on Sun, 16 May 2021 20:35:45 +0000 (UTC)

>Standardize the package format of the released versions of each free
>software project would be a total and desirable revolution. The burden
>of offering the available software would shift to software developers
>rather than distributions.

I disagree. The rich variety of distros enables each of us to select
for our own set of priorities.

As far as shifting the burden to the software developers, I was once
one of those software developers: The VimOutliner project. I *never*
would have created a package for VimOutliner. I had other stuff to do,
including improving VimOutliner.

As a user of a minority packaging system (xbps), I get hurt more than
most by the lack of xbps packaged drivers and esoteric software, and
yet I'm still for distros choosing a packaging system or even
developing their own.

Finally, one package manager is a single point of failure. Imagine if
systemd took over that one package manager, eliminating the possibility
of Linux without systemd?

SteveT

Steve Litt