:: Re: [DNG] Gnome 3 Status
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gnome 3 Status
Hi Steve,

Steve Litt writes:

> Mate via Dng said on Fri, 09 Apr 2021 00:23:29 +0300
>

>>My own preference is 3rd Gnome.
>
> What would Gnome give you that you can't get from other Window Managers
> and Desktop Environments (WM/DE)?

A familiar work environment, perhaps?

I ditched GNOME a long while ago myself and did the same with KDE but
somehow can't get myself to ditch Xfce and get back to a hand-rolled
.xinitrc like I used to use a couple of decades ago ... go figure.

It's all really a matter of inertia.
Or muscle memory.

Going off-topic

> By the way, are you a touch typist who can type over 35 wpm?

In what language? And what educational level of prose?

I am a touch typist, certified, mind you, and hit somewhere between 135
and 140 cpm (including spaces and punctuation but no funny accents) on a
mechanical typewriter way back in secondary school at the exam. In my
native language, that works out to about 17 or 18 words for a normal
newspaper article. In English, I thinks it's more like 20. In German
it'd be even less, probably around 15. In Japanese ... who knows.

# And let's not add predictive input methods to the mix ;-)
# Me very much dislikes those.

Hope this helps,