:: Re: [DNG] On Non-Judicial Punishmen…
Author: Mason Loring Bliss
To: Bruce Perens
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] On Non-Judicial Punishment of Individuals
On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 06:54:11PM -0700, Bruce Perens via Dng wrote:

> On Non-Judicial Punishment of Individuals

While this comes at the issue from a reasonable (and reasoned) angle, there
is a significant issue to consider:

This piece assumes a medical diagnosis but doesn't note public
documentation of the diagnosis. We want to be aware of the problems with
non-medical diagnosis just as we want to be aware of the problems with non-
judicial punishment. This extends to speculation about the application of
the ADA.

I also worry some that the piece presents value judgements in a way that
smacks of objective truth. This is somewhat troubling. My experience of
Richard in proximity to women doesn't at all match what you're describing.
As one of the more visible public figures in our space, you risk people
accepting your value judgements as objective truth. I'm not suggesting
you're wrong to use your lifetime of experience to filter and categorize
your perceptions, but being a public figure, you may well bear an added
burden when it comes to defining truth for people who might accept it
unquestioningly.

Personally I'm pleased that Richard is back on the board, just as I'm
dismayed at some trusted staff members leaving the FSF. All of this takes
the focus off of free software, and the people directly involved are
hurting. Frankly, it makes me hope that my kids are able to forge a better
world than what I've managed so far.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          mason@???          Ewige Blumenkraft!
awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I