:: Re: [DNG] [3.0] Time in AM/PM forma…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] [3.0] Time in AM/PM format ?? [SOLVED]
Subject: Re: [DNG] [3.0] Time in AM/PM format ??
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:37:44PM +0200, Dario Niedermann wrote:
> `date` suddenly tells the time in 12-hour format, regardless of $TZ
> (be it empty or 'Europe/<anything>').
>
> Who told it to do that? I certainly didn't.
>
> I had already noticed this before the recent switch to DST.

I bet your locale is set to en_US.

This setting is used for two unrelated things:
* the default locale for anyone who wants English and doesn't live in
Britfain or Down Under.
* inhabitants of a silly land to the left of a pond to the left of Europe

The latter have weird customs like a medieval system of measurements, units
that differ on dry-vs-liquid-vs-slightly-moist, or different distances by
the same name on air vs land vs survey measurements.

And, also, a discontinuous system of time with four non-monotonic segments
and ambiguous endpoints; marked with "am" and "pm".

So in Buster (and thus Beowulf and Chimaera), meaning of "en_US" changed to
include that silly 12-hour time.

Ways to fix include:
* C.UTF-8
* en_DK.UTF-8 (for some reason, only Denmark is available -- but it's
identical for all ways that matter)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ .--[ Makefile ]