:: [DNG] HDMI Sound on Beowulf & Intel…
Author: dvalin
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] HDMI Sound on Beowulf & Intel NUC SOLVED too. [Was: Re: Beowulf installation skipped networking. Quickest fix?

On 27.03.21 18:36, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 17:28:37 +1030 dvalin@??? wrote:
> > Whoever thought of leaving the release notes on the desktop

deserves a
> > medal. That was the first thing I was going to hunt for, as I'd

read
> > the note on pulseaudio prior to install. The problem line is
> > commented out, but I still have no audio; will have to poke at

that
> > a bit. But first to move email to the new host, so I can get off
> > this webmail horror.
>
> All I did to enable sound was to use alsamixer to turn on the master
> volume.  Volumes for all sound channels is zero by default.

Hmm, alsamixer just shows a volume bar, but pavucontrol shows
"Headphones (unplugged)" as the selected and only available port,
with "Show: All Output Devices" enabled. That denies me selection of
sound on HDMI - and seems typically Leonard.

ISTM that the fallback in previous sound failure has been rip out
pulseaudio to eliminate the problems. Perhaps I'll give that a go.
Hold on, in pavucontrol, configuration showed nothing useful, but
clicking on the one item offered in Profile did throw up a long
hidden list of alternatives, including HDMI.

The UI is Leonardian in its perverse obfuscation, but it can be made
 to work given sufficient persistrnce.

Erik