:: Re: [DNG] Advice on a package pinni…
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Advice on a package pinning
On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 12:00:19 +0100
"Antonio Trkdz.tab via Dng" <dng@???> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I could use some advice on a package pinning which I have set.
> I need a version of ripgrep (>11.0) only available in Ceres repos.
> Hence, I enabled the ceres repo in my sources.list file and I pinned
> all packages from this release with:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release n=ceres
> Pin-Priority: -1
>
> After I enabled the package and its dependencies with:
>
> Package: ripgrep libgcc-s1 gcc-10-base
> Pin: release n=ceres
> Pin-Priority: 660
>
> With this I installed the intended version of ripgrep. However I am
> afraid that the dependencies could cause problems as gcc packages are
> involved, I have already seen a warning about outdated binaries
> during installation. What do you think? I am doing something wrong
> here?

Additional repositories I don't want to take over my system, I manage
with pins 100 <= P < 500, in the order of priority. The following
example allows me to have e.g. some packages from backports and some
from chimaera on my beowulf system, without having to edit the pins for
every newly installed "custom" version and its dependencies. Updates
and dependencies get installed as usual and the packages from backports
will not be upgraded to chimaera:

    Package: *
    Pin: release n=beowulf-backports
    Pin-Priority: 150