:: Re: [DNG] rm not freeing space
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rm not freeing space
On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 04:57:57AM +0100, Ludovic Bellière wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 20:36:28 -0700
> Marc Shapiro via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with sfill.  What does it do and what package is it
> > in.  It is not currently installed here.
> >
> > Marc
>
> sfill is part of secure-delete. rm doesn't actually remove data, it
> just remove all links to it leaving the space available to be used by

Technically, it removes only one link to it; whic is often the only
link.

> something else. secure-delete scramble the data with junk (several
> times) so nothing can be recovered.

sfill looks useful if one is likely to cross international borders.
There is software that's perfectly lawful to have and use in some
countries and severely illegal in others. Take a backup, leave it at
home, then erase it from your hard drive and then really, really erase
it irecoverably, all before crossing that border.

-- hendrik