:: Re: [DNG] rm not freeing space
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rm not freeing space
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:54:20 -0700, Marc wrote in message
<74553f6b-2616-70e1-e742-1ce9275b3480@???>:

> On 3/15/21 6:31 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 10:28:32PM -0700, Marc Shapiro via Dng
> > wrote:

> >> You are correct.  I used '+L' NOT '-L'.

> >> I'm not following you on this.  What is this going to do for me?
> >> 'find' is only going to show undeleted files.  How does this
> >> help?
> > It is possible for a single file to be hard-linked in several
> > places in the file system. If so, removing it in one place will
> > still leave it accessible from another, and therefore not deleted.
> >
> > Files have reference counts to keep track of this.
>
> These files should not have any links, hard or soft.  None of the
> other files in that directory show a reference count above 1. They
> are backup files created by fsarchiver.  I'm just trying to free up
> space by deleting files from January.

..any chance they have white-space-character-only names?
E.g. " ", " ", " " etc, or Norwegian æ, ø, å, or some
invisible non-Latin alphabet soup not supported by your
fonts nor locales?
You should still be able to cut-n-paste those and have
them show up as high-lighted boxes.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: