:: [DNG] OT"? Wanted a simple 2d plan …
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] OT"? Wanted a simple 2d plan drafting/sketching/plotting program
Suggestions wanted.

I need to sketch a plan of a land plot for an erection by a
contractor. the 'erection' can be described as three to five rectangles
with ramps between them. Ancillary data to be plotted/drawn is building
sides, pathway and drive way. placement of shrubbery is optional. I'm
really after a vector based program.

Rant/Long story: Similar simple tasks I need to do irregularly.
Sadly, "linux" has never had a program that provides that functionality
and I've always had to fulfill the need from the MS world.

I come from the world of drafting where first you define your scale,
then draw up your plan to scale. the problem there is I've spent the
last three days intermittently looking at eight CAD/sketching programs.

Bummer, as nothing 'sets a scale' any more. Apparently the 'modern'
approach is to describe it in 'elements' of real world dimensions and
then scale the result. Reasonable, good idea, BUT, nothing has a simple
'element' creation module.

I believe it isn't my webfu that is failing, but any of my searches for
'element creation in XYZ' at the best turned up a response to a
similar question that was ignored.

Hence I'm looking for suggestions.of a program that might work in a
timely manner.

In a practical sense, I could pick up my A4 drafting board, draw
it, scan the result and send it. Changes are expected and hence a
digital version would be better.

T.I.A.