:: Re: [DNG] web conferencing software…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] web conferencing software (was Re: Any interest in a Devuan Meetup in Colorado Springs or Denver?)
Quoting tito via Dng (dng@???):

> > Forgive me, but it's rather late at night in my time zone, and I am
> > not at peak alertness, _but_ my guess is that Unbound got set up
> > somehow configured to forward outbound recursive queries to those
> > entities, leaving me perplexed about why anyone would do that.
>
> Just by following one of the many tutorials out there.
> Initially I was just interested in using dns to filter out adservers
> and the like.

OK, sure. When I first encountered Unbound, I noticed that (like
pdns-recursor) it functioned extremely well without any modification
at all, by default, as a high-performance, high-security standalone
recursive server, and it just hadn't occurred to me to go out of one's
way to turn it into a forwarder. (I mean, if all you want is a
forwarder, you can just use dproxy, pdnsd, or Dnsmasq, which are simpler
and don't have recursive code.)

On the other hand, if you want a fully autonomous recursive nameserver,
then _don't_ configure it to forward all queries to some outsourced
recursive nameserver elsewhere, but rather let it do its job, as
implementing the RD (recursion desired) bit makes handling of queries
faster and smarter.

In case the reasons why aren't obvious, I tried to cover this
humourously in my piece "The Village of Lan: A Networking Fairy Tale":
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lan.html

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.