:: Re: [Bricolabs] Fairphone should of…
Author: Rob van Kranenburg
To: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Fairphone should officially sell FP3 with a Free Software Only option
Hi Carsten,

When I was at Waag Society my colleague was Bas van Abel who founded FP? I will mail this to him. I still remember him coming back from a trip to Congo where he visited illegal cobalt mines with some of it that hey had smuggled out.
https://waag.org/en/article/fairphone-participates-solutions-hope-project <https://waag.org/en/article/fairphone-participates-solutions-hope-project>

Greetings, Rob

Ps: Talks coming up with Federico Bonelli and Beatrice Fazi, and Alicia Asin (Libelium):

After a very successful and participation rich (a chat on fire) two sessions on Self Sovereign Identity - a term that will gradually be referred to as Decentralized Identity Management, with 265 signups, the next four Salons will focus on foundational aspects: participation, explainability, blockchain fundamentals and full connectivity (Internet of Things).

We keep our main focus on identity and are participating in events and committees. Updates on this will be given in upcoming identity Salons. The four Salons drew over 300 direct participants and more remote views on the live channel they are now also on the YouTube channel of our partner ELONTECH.
https://www.elontech.org

Missed our NGI Forward SALONS ON DIGITAL SOVERIGNTY IN eID-Solutions:Self-sovereign, Centralised or Privatised? on #Data and Policy, and #Search?
Check them out in the @ELONtech_ channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5Zbp-k_qzPyNs3Q0dSxCg

On March 12 we talk with Federico Bonelli. On Participation.
@freddbomba

Register here:
https://www.ngi.eu/event/ngi-forward-salon-foundationals-on-participation/?instance_id=462

At the end of October 2019 the first #LedgerEu Venture Builder cohort of 16 teams gathered in the small town of Milazzo, in Sicily. Their task: to apply their current knowledge and skills to a real case scenario and come up with ideas for possible solutions (or even more) in only 3 days. The only way to do it was to interact with the local community, to put faces and real stories to the “human” aspect. He introduced them to a methodology of observation, analysis and co-design “in vivo”.

https://ledgerproject.eu/2020/01/14/watch-ledgers-human-centric-bootcamp-round-up-clip/

"Questa nuova metodologia di progettazione viene per la prima volta sperimentata da NGI Ledger soprattutto nello scenario reale del bootcamp di Milazzo, dove le sedici start up sono state effettivamente chiamate a realizzare un progetto partendo dalle criticità e dalle risorse del territorio."

https://www.oggimilazzo.it/2019/11/20/milazzo-bootcamp-di-ngi-ledger-con-sedici-startup-europee/

On March 29 we talk with Beatrice Fazi. On Explainability.
@m_b_fazi

Register here:
https://www.ngi.eu/event/ngi-forward-salon-foundationals-on-explainability/?instance_id=463

"Winner noted that, ‘upon opening the black box’, the risk was of ‘finding it empty’. In a parallel yet distinct sense, we can borrow Winner’s famous expression to consider now whether contemporary XAI’s imperatives of opening the black box are running a similar risk. If there is indeed such a risk, it is less of finding the black box empty than of realising that there is nothing to translate or to render precisely because the possibility of human representation never existed in the first place."

Beyond Human: Deep Learning, Explainability and Representation

This article addresses computational procedures that are no longer constrained by human modes of representation and considers how these procedures could be philosophically understood in terms of ‘algorithmic thought’. Research in deep learning is its case study. This artificial intelligence (AI) technique operates in computational ways that are often opaque. Such a black-box character demands rethinking the abstractive operations of deep learning. The article does so by entering debates about explainability in AI and assessing how technoscience and technoculture tackle the possibility to ‘re-present’ the algorithmic procedures of feature extraction and feature learning to the human mind. The article thus mobilises the notion of incommensurability (originally developed in the philosophy of science) to address explainability as a communicational and representational issue, which challenges phenomenological and existential modes of comparison between human and algorithmic ‘thinking’ operations.

As we are getting closer to pragmatic cybernetics, already functioning in a relatively young form in China, and as we are moving towards digitizing identity as a capability functioning in a hybrid human-machine reality its is clear that we can not do this from the view of applications, services, infrastructure without an organizational model that takes. into account the ethical and theoretical-political aspects of governance.

As Cyber. Physical Systems (CPSs) are engineered systems “integrating information technologies, realtime control subsystems, physical components, and human operators in order to in!uence physical processes by means of cooperative and (semi)automated control functions.... key features of CPSs are:

• (1) real-time feedback control of physical processes through sensors and actuators;
• (2) cooperative control among networked subsystems; and
• (3) a threshold of automation level where computers close the feedback control
loops in (semi)automated tasks, possibly allowing human control in certain cases.” (Guzman et al. 2019)

The human is seen as an integrated human “operator,” alongside components and subsystems, into an ultimate decision-making feedback control loop in which human control is allowed “in certain cases.”

In: van Kranenburg R. et al. (2020) Future Urban Smartness: Connectivity Zones with Disposable Identities. In: Augusto J.C. (eds) Handbook of Smart Cities. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-15145-4_56-1

On April 14 we talk with Alicia Asin. On Next Generation Internet of Things.
@aliciaasin

Register here:
https://www.ngi.eu/event/ngi-forward-salon-nextgeneration-internet-of-things/?instance_id=464

When the Internet of Things was coined, every technological artifact, program and vision, got caught up by feelings of general distrust in both Big Tech and Big Government. People felt powerless, having no choice but to pass between Scylla (billionaires harvesting data and creating new addiction-prone applications) and Charybdis (a hollowed-out state going obsessive-compulsive with behavioral control). Everything was supposedly designed to be ‘efficient’ or ‘optimizing’ or creating ‘transparency’. Either Scylla or Charybdis. A decade ago the correct criticism of thinkers like Adam Greenfield and the Transition Town Movement found severe faults with the smart city projects. The smart cities are now showing failure — see Sidewalk Labs. But a viable alternative beyond ‘disconnecting’ is not given. Escape is possible only for affluent individuals and gated communities. I see a plethora of (low fee and fee-less) components from crypto (think of Cardano, IoTa building real use cases). On identity, I see Self-Sovereign Identity schemes on the rise, many local forms of organizing. Think of the massive success of Arduino, Libelium.

IoT Council interviewed Alicia in 2012.

Alicia Asín Pérez: The key point in the Sensorial City is that all the data generated must be transparent and available to the citizens. If the city shows pollution levels, decides to apply a congestion toll for accessing downtown and shows the evolution of those levels, then citizens will see the effectiveness of the decision. In the end, citizens will have real time results of the decisions of politicians. Ideally, this will put on them more pressure to make better decisions.

On April 28 we talk with Primavera De Filippi
@yaoeo

Register here:
https://www.ngi.eu/event/ngi-forward-salon-foundationals-blockchain-ecologies/?instance_id=465

She recently published with Jessy Kate Schingler: An Introduction to Extitutional Theory

Extitutional theory is an emerging field of scholarship that provides a set of conceptual tools to describe and analyse the underlying social dynamics of a variety of social arrangements, such as communities, companies, organisations, or any other types of institutions.

Extitutional theory is interested not only in the ways that individuals interact and engage with one another through relationships and rhythms, but also in how different practices of institutionalization can create conditions that stabilize and amplify, or erode and suppress, certain extitutional dynamics — and vice versa. Central to the process of institutionalisation is the concept of enclosure: the mechanism through which an institution implements increased control (or coding) relative to a particular domain. Conversely, extitutional theory contrasts enclosure with the concept of exclosure, which recognizes that certain types of enclosures appear to play a different role — that of protecting the activity within it from control and coding. Providing tools to better understand the interplay between these two mechanisms is one of the key contributions of Extitutional theory.

Networked technologies in particular have created dramatic new exclosures giving rise to extitutional dynamics which can’t be understood through the institutional lens alone. Hence, extitutional theory is important not because it is better than institutional theory, but because extitutions are an under-studied phenomena. Understanding extitutional dynamics, and their interplay with the more familiar tools and logics of institutions, can help us respond to the specific, unprecedented demands of human coordination in our era.

https://medium.com/berkman-klein-center/an-introduction-to-extitutional-theory-e74b5a49ea53

We look forward to discussing this important step after Guattari's notion of assemblage as we need fluid mechanisms that contain , 'are' and 'disperse' trust in a way the group, the party, the committee, the GitHub, the 'council' is no longer capable of. Up until now the mental model to detain any attempt at formalizing the 'informal', capturing the emergent flows without encapsulating them in failing scaling methods did not have the actionability needed to take the terminology to the boardroom whether the Commission or Fortune 500. We need it.

Finally
IoT Day started in 2010 and is an open invitation to the Internet of Things Community to set up an event, a lunch, a talk with the neighborhood on what #IoT is and what it means in everyday life for all of us.
With over 200 events archived from 2016:
https://www.iotday.org/events/archive

Greetings, and a good week all, Rob