:: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer document…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer documentation is now in its first draft
Le 05/03/2021 à 07:48, tito via Dng a écrit :
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 19:38:49 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 21:44:30 +0000
>>> g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>>> In my young years I used to tinker with linux distros on floppy
>>> disks and there still where eth0, eth1 and so on but no udev,
>>> so where did the names came from?
>> Ya know, mknod wasn't so bad. The moment inotify was invented, I could
>> have created software to create devices with mknod.
> Hi,
> network interfaces cannot be found in /dev so I would be surprised
> if they could be created with mknod.

    Here is my interpretation:  Historically, there is a property of
device special files which is represented by a single bit: these special
files represent either a character device or a block device. Devices
which do not belong to one of these classes cannot be created by mknod,
and do not show up in /dev.

--     Didier