:: Re: [DNG] Netiquette
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Netiquette

>What is the netiquette on this list for changing subject lines.
>I hate hijacking threads but I also hate breaking them.
>Which is the lesser of the two evils ?

:-)

My 2 cents: When the stuff I'm discussing no longer is apropos to the
OP's post, I change the subject line. I typically do it like the
following:

Name of my new discussion: Was: Name of the OP's discussion

It's a gray area because generally threads aren't full-on hijacked, but
instead slowly drift away. My decision difficulty is determining at
what point do I change the subject .

By the way, people who take an ongoing, solid discussion, and reply
about something totally unconnected with the discussion have a special
place in hell reserved for them. Perhaps, in addition to the normal
fire and brimstone, they'll be forced to use systemd for eternity.

And then there are the people who say "sorry for hijacking this
thread, but", and then go on to hijack it. In addition to the
punishments mentioned in the preceding paragraph, these people's
eternal roommate will be Lennart Poettering, who will lecture them, for
eternity, on why they are wrong about everything.

Fortunately, I've never seen a complete hijack on DNG.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Spring 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive