:: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer document…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer documentation is now in its first draft
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 16:15:10 +0000
g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> [...]

By the kernel, I suppose as you can pass a kernel command line
parameter with grub (net.ifnames=0 or net.ifnames=1)
to switch between eth* and en* names.

> > The only working solution is to:
> >

> > 1. at boot rename all detected interfaces to some temporary name
> > (e.g. eth*renamed) 2. rename eth*renamed to eth{0-99} by a
> > hardcoded list of mac addresses in the wanted order.
> >

> > 3. don't use udev it will not work (e.g delete
> > 70-net-persistent-names.rules) 4. eventually recreate
> > 70-net-persistent-names.rules on the fly at boot after having
> > renamed the interfaces with the desired names linked to mac
> > addresses.
>
> > 5. make sure 70-net-persistent-names.rules is DELETED at reboot
> > (or is on volatile storage) or chances will be good that you will
> > be locked out of your box at the next reboot.
>

> I believe that is exactly what I just previously posted, 'ifrename'
> does all the heavy lifting for you. No need to write scripts, parse
> the /sys filesystem, simply create '/etc/iftab', mapping each MACAddr
> to the name you wish to assign. That is the only downside, you need
> to know some prior piece of hardware information to create the
> mapping table.

I was there, I did try hard, but I was not able to make ifrename
work reliably in the case you want to rename and reorder
the interfaces (that is change the name and the number)
because you change it one by one but the names you want
are already in use by other interfaces that are up.

Ciao
Tito