:: Re: [DNG] How to turn off the firew…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to turn off the firewall
On Monday 22 February 2021 at 17:26:21, Federico Fanton via Dng wrote:

> On 22/02/21 17:19, Antony Stone wrote:
> >> for table in "${!chains[@]}"; do
> >>
> >>       echo "${chains[$table]}" | tr : $"\n" | while IFS= read -r; do

> >>           iptables -t "$table" -P "$REPLY" ACCEPT

> >>       done
> >>       iptables -t "$table" -F
> >>       iptables -t "$table" -X

> >> done
> >
> > I do not understand the purpose of $REPLY in that script.
>
> It will contain the name of the chain to be passed to iptables -P.

Hm, interesting. This is some magic facility of bash that I've never come
across. I would have expected to see the variable REPLY being assigned to
somewhere or other...

On the other hand, a review of the bash man page tells me that this is what
'read' does if you don't tell it what to read into. Heh :)

Antony.

--
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.