:: Re: [DNG] Help needed:[Fwd: eudev: …
Author: Lorenz
To: aitor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed:[Fwd: eudev: Methods to detect if running in a container.]
Il giorno mer 10 feb 2021 alle ore 23:25 aitor <aitor_czr@???> ha
scritto:

> Il giorno dom 3 gen 2021 alle ore 10:41 aitor <aitor_czr@???> ha
> scritto:
>
>> I don't know. But, as far as i know, this question arises from the
>> developers of runit.
>>

> Side question: where/who are the developers of runit?
>
> The original author of runit seems to be Gerrit Pape:
>
> http://smarden.org/runit/
> but other people like Dmitry Bogatov or Britney might be involved somehow
> in the project, at least as debian package mantainers.

Sadly Dmitry is no longer active as packager in Debian, he left after the
last GR :(

> And Lorenzo Puliti, maybe?

That would be me

> I'm planning extensive development for the next cycle (Debian/Bookworm) so
> we probably should coordinate at least to make sure that we don't step on
> each other foot
>
> Regards,
> Lorenzo
>
> Quoting Svante Signell:
>

> *> I'm trying to solve the problem of detecting if you are within a
> container, like > docker or LXC when running the eudev init script. If true
> udevd should not be > cstarted. The current version of eudev (3.2.9-4) has
> a buggy check for > containers, and people running runit as init have
> problems, see #392.*
>
> Maybe i misunderstood him and made up my mind that developers of runit
> were beyond this issue, while Svante was clearly referring to the users.
> Whatever the case, i also would like to know about a possible mailing list
> and we would meet each other there for sure :)

As far as I know, there is no runit-Debian specific list; however, if you
are interested in runit and similar tools, there is the Supervision mailing
list.
https://skarnet.org/lists.html
It's not specific about Debian/Devuan, and much of the talk is about s6
nowadays, but many topics are still relevant for runit.

> Cheers,
>
> Aitor.

Cheers,
Lorenzo