:: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subn…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subnet and address to a Devuan Beowulf Qemu guest

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 16:28:16 -0700
Gabe Stanton via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-02-17 at 16:28 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi Gabe,
> > On your guest VM, what does it say your default route is when
> > youperform the ip route command?
>
> results of ip route:
>
> default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
> 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.75
>

> > Did you need to do something special to get that default
> > route(gateway)?
> > Thanks,
> > SteveT
>
> I believe I used the below from here, as well as the 'set up a bridge'
> link and maybe the 'QEMU' page linked.
>
> I thought I had started keeping better notes about what I do... I must
> have started that after I installed this VM lol.
>

> source url (same as above label'd "here"):
> https://wiki.debian.org/KVM?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryVirtualization%5Cb%29#Setting_up_bridge_networking
> Between VM host, guests and the world
> In order to let communications between host, guests and outside world,
> you may set up a bridge and as described at QEMU page.
> For
> example, you can modify the network configuration file
> /etc/network/interfaces to setup the ethernet interface eth0 to a
> bridge
> interface br0 similar as below. After the configuration, you can
> set using Bridge Interface br0 as the network connection in VM guest
> configuration.

1) Is the following /etc/network/interfaces on the guest, or on the
host?

2) If on the guest, do I need to have the "gateway" part of the br0
iface be an address *other* than the gateway the host and rest of the
LAN uses?

3) Is a TAP needed anywhere? Do I need to make provisions for it (and
if so, where)

4) If the TAP is needed, do I have to make , or does the guest make the
TAP and set it up?

> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
>
> #make sure we don't get addresses on our raw device
> iface eth0 inet manual
> iface eth0 inet6 manual
>
> #set up bridge and give it a static ip
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.2
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.1.0
>         broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         gateway 192.168.1.1
>         bridge_ports eth0
>         bridge_stp off
>         bridge_fd 0
>         bridge_maxwait 0
>         dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8

> #allow autoconf for ipv6
> iface br0 inet6 auto
>         accept_ra 1Once that is correctly configured, you should be
> able to use the bridge on new VM deployments with:

> virt-install --network bridge=br0 [...]

That last line looks like you're not using TAP at all. Is that true?

What goes between the square brackets?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt