:: [DNG] ZFS NFS
Author: Jackman
To: DNG
Subject: [DNG] ZFS NFS
I searched the mailing list archives, and I didn't find anything obviously
relating to ZFS, so I apologize if this is redundant.

I successfully created a ZFS filesystem, which I'm really excited about. I
followed the steps in the Debian documentation, here:

https://wiki.debian.org/ZFS

➜  ~ zpool list -v
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
tank  2.72T  1.01T  1.70T         -     0%    37%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
  mirror  2.72T  1.01T  1.70T         -     0%    37%
    ata-Hitachi_HUA723030ALA641_YVG8GB7A      -      -      -         -
 -      -
    ata-Hitachi_HUA723030ALA641_YHKRZLSD      -      -      -         -
 -      -

➜  ~ zfs list
NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank        1.01T  1.62T    24K  /tank
tank/data   1.01T  1.62T  1.01T  /mnt/zfs
tank/media    24K  1.62T    24K  /srv/media

The problem I'm having is on executing commands such as the following:

➜ ~ zfs set sharenfs="on" tank/media
➜ ~ zfs share tank/media
➜ ~ showmount -e localhost
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

According to the documentation, that last 'showmount' command should tell
me that I have successfully exported an NFS share of my ZFS volume.

Fumbling around, I tried restarting the NFS-related services:

➜ ~ service nfs-common restart
[ ok ] Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
[ ok ] Starting NFS common utilities: statd idmapd.
➜ ~ service nfs-kernel-server restart
[ ok ] Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
[ ok ] Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
[warn] Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no exports. ... (warning).

Still, I'm not showing anything with 'showmount':

➜ ~ showmount -e localhost
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

I'm just not sure where to go from here. According to everything I've read,
it sounds like NFS sharing via ZFS tooling makes everything pretty much
automatic. I shouldn't have to modify my exports file or any other ordinary
NFS-specific configuration.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd be willing to put a reasonable amount
into someone's preferred-vice fund in exchange. Thank you!

Andrew Jackman
kd7nyq@???