:: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance
Author: o1bigtenor
To: al3xu5 / dotcommon
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 2:27 AM al3xu5 / dotcommon
<dotcommon@???> wrote:

> Sun, 24 Jan 2021 19:59:19 -0600 - o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@???>:
>
> > Greetings
> >
> > (Asking this here as so far I've seen some seriously skilled folks
> > connecting in!)
> >
> > I've been working on getting a HiSense 50" TV (3840x2160_30) working
> > on a Nvidia GTX1050 Ti graphics card. I have a second graphics card
> > (Nvidia GT (IIRC) 570) with a present stable of 4 -1920x1080 monitors.
> > I am running Nouveau rather than proprietary Nvidia software and get
> > to use xrandr to set up my graphics system after every boot but
> > although it took me a while to learn how to do this setup its pretty
> > quick now.
> >
> > Part of the 'fun' in wanting to add the 3840x2160_30 monitor is that
> > EDID has become a more than somewhat 'challenging' system. Enough so
> > that I was able to find this:
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.6/driver-api/edid.html
> >
> > Creating this 'custom' EDID is a long ways from my wheelhouse - - - I
> > have spend some time today trying to find some of the stuff indicated
> > on that page - - - - can't find anything (maybe also a good thing!). I
> > am going to attach (hopefully the list accepts attachments) 2 files
> > which give enough information so that someone with the requisite
> > skills could create this 'custom' EDID that I need so that I could
> > then use xrandr to get this monitor working. Is there someone who
> > might be able to do this? (I think doing it might be a lot less time
> > consuming that guiding me through the doing of it - - - especially as
> > I have essentially zero programming skills)
> >
> > Please?
> >
> > TIA
>

> Hi
>
> I had the same problem with a Panasonic Viera TV. Here below the way I
> have solved.
>

> You need a valid right modeline for your tv/monitor with the desired
> resolution/refresh.
>
> You have the hardware specs of your tv/monitor, and its EDID file you
> attached which has:
>
>   DTD   1:  3840x2160   30.000 Hz  16:9    67.500 kHz 297.000 MHz (1872 mm
>   x 1053 mm) Hfront  176 Hsync  88 Hback 296 Hpol P
>                  Vfront    8 Vsync  10 Vback  72 Vpol P

> Using these informations you should be able to find the modeline you need.
>
> See:

This looks like exactly what I've been scouring the web for - - - but
- - - there
are some issues with some of the following.

> Modeline Database - MythTV Official Wiki
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database

Nothing on 4k or wide format TVs/monitors.

> Working with Modelines - MythTV Official Wiki
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Working_with_Modelines
>
> * Modeline Calculator
> https://arachnoid.com/modelines/

this seems to be very much like cvt

> videogen
> http://www.dynaweb.hu/opensource/videogen/
>
> Debian -- Package Search Results -- videogen
> https://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=videogen&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
>

> Your modeline will be something similar to:
>
> "3840x2160_30.00" 339.57 3840 4080 4496 5152 2160 2161 2164 2197 -HSync
> +Vsync

3840x2160   30.000 Hz  16:9    67.500 kHz 297.000 MHz (1150 mm x 650 mm)
                 Hfront  176 Hsync  88 Hback 296 Hpol P
                 Vfront    8 Vsync  10 Vback  72 Vpol P

It seems to me that the 297.000 MHz (different than 339.57 MHz) is important.

> (Be very careful because using an incorrect modeline may DAMAGE the
> display.)
>

> Once you have the right modeline, you need to pass it to xrandr for each
> session.
>
> If you are using a DM (e.g lightdm), you can configure it to run a script
> when starting each session.

I have a cheat sheet and just enter the 6 commands (on my existing
2 card 4 monitor setup) to get the second card recognized and working.

> Here is how mine is (you should change it accordingly to your tv/monitor
> model and modeline): ~~~
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # ## DISPLAY SETUP
> # Modeline for Panasonic Viera 32" HDMI LCD TV (model: TX-32LX52F)
> xrandr --newmode "1216x684_60" 74.160 1216 1356 1396 1648 684 707 712 750
> +hsync +vsync xrandr --addmode HDMI-1 "1216x684_60"
> xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode "1216x684_60"

I am presently stuck trying to get 'videogen' working.

Can see everything in the directory but using either root or user I get the
same error message:
$ videogen
could not open configuration file "~/.videogen" (errno=2)

       |     videogen 0.33     simple XFree86 Modeline calculator     |
       |              by Szabolcs Rumi, (c) 1997 - 2003               |
       |        THIS PROGRAM COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY        |
       |    for details see the GNU General Public License (GPLv2)    |

error: no modes (resolutions) have been specified

Suggestion(s) on how to get over this hurdle?

TIA