:: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2021-01-…
Author: B Stack
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2021-01-07
# Devuan meet 2021-01-07 @20:30 UTC

Present: golinux, rrq, bgstack15, LeePen, fsr, Rick Moen, Adam

## Old Business
The etymological origins of Hogmanay are obscure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay#Etymology

### fsmithred
* Migration from buster to beowulf notes need review. What about
sysvinit-core?
https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/en/buster-to-beowulf
* First question about firmware in the installer isos could use better
instructions. People get stuck thinking they have to provide firmware
files at that time. (I'm guessing we don't even touch that udeb.)

## Old Actions

## New Business

### rrq
* turned to more amprolla improvement attempts (ongoing), following up
  on leepen's analysis of britney "failures"; i.e., that the repo gets
  updated indiscriminately. The source for those failures is that
  amprolla misbehaves upon spurious 404 responses to remote download
  attempts and end up saving the response as if being the file to
  download.
* hoping for someone to pick up devuan-installer bug fixing; there are a
  handful of bugs; the main one being a patch to 'task-select' to be
  noisier about how to operate the task selection dialog.
* note: I made a server-side xslt variant for pkginfo, and set up that
  as the default old entry:
  https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/policy-query.xml new entry:
  https://pkginfo.devuan.org/xsl-bin/policy-query.html They use the same
  css, and functionally the same xsl over the same xml, but they still
  end up with a very slightly different presentation in my browser
  (palemoon 28.6.1). Not that I care much. golinux also wants some
  polishing of the css which I look forward to see happening.
  * :D
  * (gl) update the footer(s) of pkginfo and bugs. (LeePen) Just noticed
    debian-installer/udebs are not included. Is that deliberate?
  * (rrq) now updated to include section "main/debian-installer" for all
    codenames

### LeePen
* ceres package updates: network-manager, rsyslog
* parazyd has forked plymouth. 0.9.5-2+devuan2 in ceres (and probably
  chimaera tomorrow). He wants to add a fork of version 0.9.4-1.1 to
  beowulf. I suggest building for beowulf-proposed-updates.
* New Debian package has been uploaded to collect orphaned initscripts.
  Installs them in /etc/init.d only when required using apt trigger.
  Waiting in FTP new queue. If accepted, might enable us to unfork a few
  packages.
  https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/orphan-sysvinit-scripts_0.03.html
  * (bgstack15) This new package sounds exciting! I know the Devuan
    package for 389-ds-base does a few more things than add back the
    init script, but when I learn how to get ahold of this new package,
    I will compare init scripts.
* Propose add debian-config-override to address pulseaudio autospawn to
  beowulf-proposed-updates.

### fsmithred
* orca screen reader does not need user lightdm to be in audio group. In
beowulf, xserver-share=false and enable pulseaudio autospawn to get
sound.

### plasma41
* Likely won't make it to the meeting this week

### adam
```
root@debian10-devuan-test:~# apt-get install eudev
dpkg: systemd-sysv: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
init depends on systemd-sysv | sysvinit-core | runit-init; however:
Package systemd-sysv is to be removed.
Package sysvinit-core is not installed.
Package runit-init is not installed.

(Reading database ... 135421 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing systemd-sysv (241-7~deb10u5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package sysvinit-core.
(Reading database ... 135404 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../sysvinit-core_2.93-8+devuan1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking sysvinit-core (2.93-8+devuan1) ...
(Reading database ... 135427 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing systemd (241-7~deb10u5) ...
systemd is the active init system, please switch to another before
removing systemd.
dpkg: error processing package systemd (--remove):
installed systemd package pre-removal script subprocess returned
error exit status 1
systemd

root@debian:~# apt-get -f install
root@debian:~# reboot
```
Migration to Beowulf seems to work... AND Gnome is GoNE >8^D

## New Actions
* fsr - please start a thread on forum to test plymouth.
* comment for lightdm.conf
* i386 desktop iso bug
* look at plymouth in desktop-base
* inform chillfan about changes in beowulf documentation relating to
when to install sysvinit-core in migration from buster

### bgstack15
* Will look for the systemctl shell script I wrote, and work with the
  devuan-sanity team. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!
  * just remember that it belongs not wherever Debian's systemctl bin
    file is; i.e., if Debian uses /bin/systemctl then the shell script
    MUST go in /usr/bin/systemctl to avoid recursive discovery of the
    script and invoking itself in a weird case working with FreeIPA.
* Will accept input for how to mark the comment better for
  "xserver-share" in lightdm.conf, and will try to upstream the
  improvements. ```

```
# xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and session
# xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and
session (needed for a vnc server) <- maybe only x11vnc?
```
* With the discovery that xserver-share=false is unrelated to the screen
reader's ability to operate on the login screen (it's a pulseaudio
autospawn problem which is fixed by beowulf-proposed-updates packages
debian-pulseaudio-config-override and libpam-elogind), this comment
upstreaming is unnecessary.