:: Re: [DNG] motherboard BIOS update
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] motherboard BIOS update
On 1/8/21 1:08 PM, dng@??? wrote:
> On 08-01-2021 20:52, Fred wrote:

>>> I can't imagine there being anything Devuan-specific for this sort of
>>> thing
>>> (ie: it'll either be standard Debian, or generic Linux), but to get a
>>> meaningful answer to the question the main bit of information you
>>> need to
>>> supply is "what make / model of motherboard".
>>>

>>> Antony.
>>>
>> I don't understand what you mean.  As far as I know one has to use
>> Windows to update a BIOS.
>>
>> I bought a Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 mb and an Intel i5-7500 CPU which is
>> listed as compatible with that mb.  Unfortunately that CPU requires
>> F20 version BIOS and the mb came with F3.  It will not run at all
>> without F20.  I will need to buy an older CPU that will work with F3
>> which will allow the computer to power up.  If there is a Linux
>> program to update the BIOS then I can install Devuan and then update.
>> Otherwise I will still have to buy the old CPU and find someone that
>> has a bootable Windows HD useable on the mb and have them update the
>> BIOS.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Fred
>
> You do not need Windows to update a BIOS on a Gigabyte mb but can use
> Q-Flash from BIOS instead. Too bad you still need a working processor
> and memory to make this work. Your motherboard does not support Q-Flash
> Plus with which you even do not need a processor to update the BIOS.
>
> Grtz.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,
The Gigabyte web site Q-Flash instructions say it needs a USB-floppy
device. Do you know if it will work with a USB flash drive instead?
And which USB port is to be used? The update is a zip file. Does it
need to be unzipped first? I have ordered a CPU that supposedly will
work with the existing F3 BIOS. Unfortunately it cost $120.

Best regards,
Fred