:: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2020-12-…
Author: B Stack
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2020-12-31
# Devuan meet 2020-12-31 @20:30 UTC

Present: golinux, mason, Adam, fsmithred, LeePen, plasma41, Xenguy

## Old Business

## Old Actions

## New Business

### LeePen Happy Hogmanay!
* Issue with britney chimaera migration aging resolved. Was caused by a
  HTML 404 error message being stored as
  spool/dists/beowulf/main/source/Sources.gz by amprolla. Cause still
  needs fixing so that errors are handled correctly.
  * (mason) Best case, we'll want to run lurc for a month or so in
    parallel.
* Ceres new packages: pdns-recursor, udisks2, main-menu, util-linux,
  reportbug, network-manager, packagekit, xfce4-session
* dev1.cloud domain expired
  * Owned by Evilham
  * Preventing renewal of jenkins https certificate.
    *  (gl) It has been renewed!  A bit of a story . . . Registry
      Expiration: 2021-11-27 10:00:05 UTC Updated: 2020-12-30 21:10:04
      UTC
  * Jenkins cert now updated as well.
* debian-config-override POC
  * thoughts on this approach?
  * (mason) I'd hugely prefer having override packages per Debian
    package, as I think this will end up being far more maintainable.
    Also, then individual override packages can be locked to their
    Debian counterparts, which can't be done with batching. I suspect
    we're going to see more and more of these in the not-distant future.
    (See Debian bug #975075 for an example.)
    * https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=975075
  * (mason) on the other hand, it might be cleaner to bite the bullet
    and just start forking packages.
    * (LeePen) We could accommodate that within the
      debian-config-override source package: different binary packages
      for each upstream package, maybe with a meta-package depending on
      them all. But I don't see how we can make the debian package
      depend on the relevant binary config override package. Suggests is
      a possibility.
    * (mason) What I'm doing in this direction for my ZFS packages is to
      conflict against packages newer than the one to which I apply.
      This doesn't offer a way to suggest the override packages.
    *  I have updated my POC to include this:
    * https://git.devuan.org/LeePen/debian-config-override
    * built packages https://hindley.org.uk/~mark/debian
    * I don't see enough people offering to maintain new packages for us
      to fork if we don't have to. And some packages people have forked
      are beginning to be out of date WRT Debian.
    * (mason) this might be something we need to address - having to
      start forking more and more feels inevitable
      * (mason) tooling for checking for new versions?
        * (adam) https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pulseaudio/rss exists

### bgstack15
* I will be unavailable for the meeting.
* I am guilty of LeePen's statmement of some packages are falling behind
Debian. I plan on working on 389-ds-base upon my return. Nobody's
bothered me about it yet so I assumed I was the only user of it.

### golinux
* We need a better system for domain and cert renewals. A list of
  expiration dates would be a good start.
  * (mason) Is there some way to have a small incorporated body to
    own/manage domains?
    * (golinux/adam) 401(3c) or similar, depending on location
  * (mason) Maybe group accounts with the registrar(s) would suffice?
  * (adam) Dyne is the low-hanging fruit here
* onefang suggested we record our weekly meets. Does anyone think that's
  a good idea? IMO worst idea ever.
  * (plasma41) I don't think we should. The meeting notes are already
    public and anyone who wants more than that should just come to the
    meetings themselves.
    * (gl) Yes. There is a thin line between "transparency" and a
      panopticon of surveillance.
    * (mason) Agreed, I prefer textual summaries.
* domain to replace dev1.cloud which may not be reliable in the future.
  LeePen did you have a response from Evilham?  I did not.
* Apologies to mason for my plymouth phobia. Free software is about
  choice so wherever your interests take you is fine with me.
  * (mason) No worries at all. I value opinions which differ from mine.
    Expands my reality tunnel. But thank you!

## New Actions

### mason
* IRC traffic came up - our 404 page uses a graphic that isn't wholly
  compatible with the overall CC-BY-4.0 used by our web site. (Please
  correct me if I've gotten this wrong.)
  * I found it fairly interesting and hopeful that people are looking at
    this and care about it.
    *(gl) Xenguy is on it

### golinux
* Have sent a list of devuan domains not owned by dyne to LeePen