:: Re: [DNG] Why X does keyboard and m…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why X does keyboard and mouse.
On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 05:02:32PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2021-01-01 19:07, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > It is that intermediate window manager that was responsible for border
> > sized and so forth. It couldn't draw the borders -- it wasn't attached
> > to a screen. It just told the server what to draw.
>
> Yes, of course. That is what I meant. Nonetheless, the _server_ (ie. the
> Xorg daemon) is the ultimate source of truth on the locations on
> windows. The WM asks Xorg for that information.

Make sense. Things are not as clear-cut these days as to who dies what
whan they're all on the same computer.

> I contributed code to openbox - be careful who you're talking to :-P

Nice.

My ancient experience with X was working on the team developing UIM/X in
the days before Linux. I spent some time reading a manual caalled
something like ICCCCC (maybe ICCCM?) about communications between these
various network components, though I never had to do any coding directly
with that communication.

I remember once working with a really charming little X terminal. I no
longer know what model it was. Hard to find such a thing nowadays, but
I use my laptop as one when I want to run elsewhere.

Software really isn't kind to using it via networked ssh -X these days.
Running Chromium on a remote machine is terrible when it does animated
scrolling. It transmits all those successive bitmaps one by one and
doesn't look animated at all, just slow.

-- hendrik