:: Re: [DNG] Why X does keyboard and m…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why X does keyboard and mouse.
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:21:47 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 11:53:51AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > <rant>
> > It didn't have to be this way. In 2020, better alternatives could
> > have been made. If I were the project manager, the first thing I'd
> > do is uncouple keyboard, mouse and video from each other. Why X has
> > anything to do with keyboard or mouse is beyond me.
>
> Perhaps because X was originally a means of having a graphical user
> interface to multiple machines over a network. Which usualy involves
> a screen, keyboard, and mouse.
>
> Each X window could be talking to a different computer. It mattered
> which computer your keystrokes went to.

Yes, but that doesn't preclude three or more separate pieces of
software: One for the screen, one for the keyboard, and one for the
mouse. There can be others as input devices are added. There could even
be a struct that passes a pointer to each of those three (or more).

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive