:: Re: [DNG] Vdev [ was Re: if2mac ini…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Vdev [ was Re: if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names]
On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 08:33:47 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>     Aitor I think you are the only person who knows vdev in depth.
> Therefore only you can decide what the best approach is, keeping in
> mind the amount of work is implied by the maintenance. I also agree
> that a tool to compile the database would be helpfull.

Hearing this thread's perplexity, I long for the days of mknod. If I'd
known udev and its descendants would turn into this kind of mess, I'd
have made an inotifywait or dmesg based shellscript to monitor
everything and perform the necessary mknod to create a device for it,
thereby eliminating a substantial part of the necessity for udev. Other
people could have created other shellscripts or simple C programs to do
the rest of udev's work.

Of course, that's 15 years water under the dam, settled law, so I'm not
going to do it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive