:: Re: [DNG] Historical note on double…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Historical note on double negation.
Quoting Hendrik Boom (hendrik@???):

> I've been told that was the case in a long-gonne ancestor of modern
> English, possible Old English or the language of Beowulf.

It's not quite the same thing, but I am suddenly in a mind to provide a
link to a lovely piece by my acquaintance Poul Anderson, the
Danish-American science fiction author 'Uncleftish Beholding', in which
Poul briefly explains atomic theory in an alternate-universe English that
never received any Latin-derived vocabulary.

Here, my gift to thee and thee, for the Jul holiday (and let us remember
Poul and his wife Karen fondly):
https://msburkeenglish.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/uncleftish-beholding-aka-atomic-theory.pdf

(Watch out for that ymirstuff-235. It can be troublesome.)

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.