:: Re: [DNG] Historical note on double…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Historical note on double negation.
On Thursday 24 December 2020 at 15:49:22, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 10:30:58AM +0100, aitor wrote:
> > On 24/12/20 10:23, aitor wrote:
> > > neither the mouse nor the keyboard didn't respond
> >
> > Mmm..., this is a double denial. Neither the mouse nor the keyboard could
> > respond?
>
> Agreed. Happy to see neither..nor used. Sometimes that's the clearest way
> to say something.
>
> But I'd have said "neither the mouse nor the keyboard responded".

Agreed, however the "double negative" is between "neither" and "didn't", not
"between "neither" and "nor".

That is a perfectly clear and reasonable complaint about the original comment.

Regards,

Antony.

--
People say that nothing is impossible, so I try to do the impossible every
day.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.