:: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names
Le 18/12/2020 à 17:26, Hendrik Boom a écrit :

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev says:
> In general, when using KDE or GNOME, mdev is not suitable.
> but does not explain why.
> I surmise that KDE and GNOME have some specific involvement with udev.

    AFAIU, Xorg uses libudev to retrieve information on devices. This
can be worked around by providing Xorg with config files like in the old
times, which is kind of a pain. This is the only thing which held me
back from switching to Mdev a few years ago.

Le 18/12/2020 à 20:25, aitor a écrit :

> On 18/12/20 20:03, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
>
>> And what about Jude Nelson's vdev? I, for one, would donate
>> to support development of these lightweight udev alternatives.
> Last lime i built vdev was at the very beginning of 2019 under devuan
> testing (beowulf) before the conferences.
> And It worked after doing some minor changes in the code. Maybe i can
> recover this work.

    I have followed the development of Vdev by Jude Nelson, but, at some
point, I got frightened by the forest (dozens) of shell scrips which
implemented the actions to perform when devices were installed/removed.

    I think that, like in the case of Mdev, the biggest difficulty is in
emulating libudev, which requires in particular to maintain an
up-to-date database of devices. Jude has done a complete job and libvdev
provides this emulation, but who maintains the database ?

    Another issue with emulating libudev is that it implies to
continuously run after Udev and Systemd. I lean to think it would be
nicer to have a simpler and stable API. Though I confess I have none in
mind (~:

    Cheers.

--         Didier