:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Antony Stone
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Thursday 17 December 2020 at 13:03:57, rattenkopf via Dng wrote:

> hi Antony
>
> Yesterday I had the same problem - mainboard network interface gets eth1
> as name and the both interfaces from the pci-card are eth0 and eth2 and
> fiddling with udef-rule didn't get the wanted result.

Indeed - I'm now using my workaround of telling udev rules to assign names
xeth0, xeth1 etc, and then in /etc/network/interfaces renaming those to eth0,
eth1, etc.

> But I notice, that as system booted from an usb stick dos not have this
> problem, but the stick could only booted, if uefi was enabled.

Hm, interesting.

> So I decided to install grub with efi extension and after that, the
> system comes up with eth0 from the mainboard and eth1 and eth2 where
> given to the pci-card interfaces.
>
> But I don't know, if this always happens with uefi or only with that of
> this board (dell PowerEdge)

Well, in my case I can't test that because my machines don't do UEFI (HP N54L
microservers, Bios only).

Do you have any setting for net.ifnames in your Grub kernel boot parameters?

Antony.

--
It may not seem obvious, but (6 x 5 + 5) x 5 - 55 equals 5!

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.