:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Ralph Ronnquist
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
It really isn't that hard:

when the kernel starts it will give its default names to the
interfaces as ethN numbering them in order it initializes them. In
your case it will use the names eth0, eth1 and eth2 that get assigned
in whatever time order the kernel discovers them in.

Eventually(!) the hotplug handler (udev) kicks in to process your
rules, and at that time there are three interfaces named eth0, eth1
and eth2, so it will be impossible to make, say, the eth2 interface
get the name eth0 without first making the eth0 interface be named
something else. It would here be nice with a name *swapping* program,
but there is none.

So, if you are not happy with those names being used the way they are
by the kernel, then you will have to arrange it to name them all
twice: first to some other name series (eg en0, en1, en2) and
thereafter back onto the original name series (eth0, eth1, eth2) on
the basis of some other adapter property (eg macadress).

Ralph.