:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Am 13. Dezember 2020 12:01:39 MEZ schrieb Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@???>:

> Well, here's the output from "dmesg | grep eth". It shows the r8169
> interfaces being given names eth0, eth1 (the ones I want as eth1 and eth2),
> then the tg3 interface gets called eth2 (which I want as eth0).
>
> At 6 seconds in, you can see my 70-persistent-net.rules file kicking in and
> renaming then to xeth2, xeth1 and xeth0; then finally at 12 seconds, the second
> rename in /etc/network/interfaces sets them back to eth0, eth1 and eth2 in the
> order I want them.

So have you tried with 'ifnames=1'?

And are you sure, that the 'hwaddress' lines in your '/etc/network/interfaces' really define which NIC to use? AFAICT this option just changes ("spoofs") the MAC address of the NIC for which it is defined. Although the log confirms that finally eth0 is the tg3 NIC, this seems unusual (and very counterintuitive) to me.

libre Grüße,
Florian

--
Florian Zieboll