:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Sunday 13 December 2020 at 09:25:24, terryc wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:15:53 +0100
>
> Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@???> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've just installed a couple of Beowulf systems, each of which has
> > three ethernet interfaces; one on the motherboard, and two on a PCI
> > card.
> >
> > I'm trying to work out how to give those interfaces the names I want;
> > the motherboard as eth0, and the PCI card as eth1 / eth2.
>
> Err, what is not clear in 'man interfaces'

If you're referring to the "mapping" section, I've tried that and it doesn't
help.

> FWIW, I've just had to do a fresh install of Beowulf and as I always do
> I manuay define /etc/network/interfaces, e.g.
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.x.y
>         netmask 255.255.0.0
>         gateway 192.168.x.z

> Just add the line
>     hwaddress mac:add:dress:in:usual:format

> to match eth2 & eth3 to the desired card.

I think that's entirely the wrong way round.

Setting hwaddress in /etc/network/interfaces changes the MAC address of the
interface according to its name (eth0, eth1, etc).

I'm looking for the opposite - I want to make sure that the device whose MAC
address is 78:ac:c0:f7:89:f7 gets called "eth0" (instead of "eth2", which is
what I get from the kernel), and that the devices with MAC addresses
00:e0:4c:80:21:6b and 00:e0:4c:80:21:6c get called "eth1" and "eth2"
respectively, instead of "eth0" and "eth1".

I can only repeat - under Jessie and earlier, this was all handled by the
settings in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

From Ascii onwards I get the errors:

udevd[441]: Error changing net interface name eth2 to eth0: File exists
udevd[441]: could not rename interface '4' from 'eth2' to 'eth0': File exists

and so on.

Antony.

--
Python is executable pseudocode.