:: Re: [DNG] What I learned at Distrow…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What I learned at Distrowatch
On Tuesday 01 December 2020 at 15:16:57, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> This brings us to the other thing worthy of note. Try sometime to install
> Devuan (not Debian, Devuan) without systemd and you'll be in for a rude
> shock. It's installed by default, and it's a massive pain to eradicate it.

Please give more detail about what you mean in this context by "systemd".

What, specifically, gets installed as part of Devuan which you don't want to
see there?

> Does this bother you? It bothers me. If it's impossible to install *Devuan*
> without systemd, that's problematic. (To forestall the inevitable pedantry,
> elogind is systemd. It's a major component of it. And libelogind0 maps
> directly to libsystemd0. A rose by any other name...)

libsystemd0 is a stub library which contains none of the objectionable code or
"features" which people who don't want systemd are trying to keep away from.

Regards,

Antony.

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no
difference, whereas in practice there is.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.