:: Re: [DNG] Jessie to Ascii upgrade
Author: Patrick Bartek
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Jessie to Ascii upgrade
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 13:08:52 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 07:55:17 -0800
> Patrick Bartek via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>

> > I do run a little file manager -- xfe. Lightweight. Make things so
> > much easier. I'd dread having to use the commandline instead. :)
> > Comes with text editor, image viewer and package manager.

> I just did some experiments with xfe, pcmanfm and thunar. Thunar is by
> far the most reliable for dragging a file into an existing window and
> having the file become open in that window. That's one of the few
> things I use a file manager for.

I tested those as well as several other file managers, too, before
choosing xfe some 7 years ago to run on Debian Wheezy on then 7 year
old hardware. I needed one that ran well on a lightweight, custom
installed system without a desktop environment -- just X and a window
manager. All the others seemed too heavy. Their performance was
noticeably slower as well. Xfe just zipped along and even though it did
have limitations as my needs were basic, I hardly noticed. When I
switched to Devuan Beowulf and a new Ryzen system this year from Debian
Stretch and that old system (now almost 14 years old*), I just stayed
with xfe.

*That old system still runs just fine. Plan to turn it into a NAS
running Beowulf terminal only system and OpenMediaVault. Waste not, want
not!