:: [DNG] Who is disabling core dumps?
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: DNG
Subject: [DNG] Who is disabling core dumps?
Hi all,

I enabled core dumps in /etc/security/limits.d/coredump.conf (* - core unlimited); core_pattern and suid_dumpable are set appropriately. However, most processes have a soft limit of 0; that is, core dump disabled:

# for p in $(ps -e -o pid| tail -n +1); do prlimit --noheadings --core --pid $p 2>/dev/null; done | sort |uniq -c
      1 CORE     max core file size    0    0 bytes
    260 CORE     max core file size    0 unlimited bytes
     44 CORE     max core file size unlimited unlimited bytes

Only 44 processes have coredump enabled. Why? I looked for 'ulimit' in /etc/init.d, .bashrc's, and other starters, but found nothing relevant.

The one with hard limit 0 is ssh-agent, presumably set by the program itself for obvious security reasons.

Who is soft-disabling core dumps for the other 260?

Is there a better way to enable them, other than for each process?

Best
Ale