:: Re: [DNG] Jessie to Ascii upgrade
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Jessie to Ascii upgrade
On Monday 16 November 2020 at 20:02:24, Fred wrote:

> Hi,
> The upgrade from Debian Jessie to Devuan Beowulf went ok.

Excellent news. I too, did not know it was safe to skip releases in this way;
I've always upgraded my Debian machines from one release to the next in
sequence, without trying to do two version upgrades in one go.

> Uname -a still shows Debian. Why?

All my Devuan machines (including ones installed as Devuan from the start) do
that. I guess it's for compatibility with scripts etc which know nothing of
Devuan, so that they at least know what type of system they're running on,
even if the init mechanism is different.

> What would be the difference between the upgrade and a new install of
> Beowulf?

I suspect the answer is "mainly that you have some old stuff still lying around
even if it's not used now, which you wouldn't have on a fresh install", but
I'd be interested if anyone with better knowledge of this can be more specific.

Antony.

--
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx prgrmmng

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.