:: Re: [DNG] Jessie to Ascii upgrade
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Jessie to Ascii upgrade
On 11/15/20 5:28 AM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 22:29:06 -0300, Gastón wrote in message
> <20201115012856.2w2ojom7elryjqgl@???>:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 02:36:36PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade from Debian Jessie to Devuan. Apparently all I
>>> need to do is change the sources list and do a dist-upgrade.
>>>
>>> Is this likely to go smoothly? If there are any problems I would
>>> probably not have Internet to ask for help.
>>>
>>> How does the upgrade get rid of systemd and everything associated
>>> with it? Or how does one do that?
>>
>> Migrate from Debian Jessie to Beowulf guide:
>> https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documentation/src/branch/master/dev1fanboy/en/jessie-to-beowulf.md
>
> ..a wee tweak would be mentioning systemd-free Debian 7 Wheezy
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history#Debian_7_(Wheezy)
> as the "final safe" Debian version to upgrade from into Devuan, and not
> neccessarily (Devuan) Beowulf.
>

> ..there is also that risk of confusion with
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBeowulf
> which is far less desireable for most people
> than our Beowulf:
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Debian+Beowulf&ia=web
>

> ..systemd was introduced as an optional init system in Debian 7 Wheezy,
> which really makes Debian 6.0 Squeeze the final safe Debian version to
> upgrade from into Devuan.
>
> ..the upgrade guide(s) for these should IMO start with an earlier
> "dpkg --purge systemd" than adviced in your otherwise excellent
> https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documentation/src/branch/master/dev1fanboy/en/jessie-to-beowulf.md
>
> ..breaking systemd is totally fine, once it boots safely with any
> other init system, the whole point with Devuan is fixing Debian's
> systemd blunder coup, and that means purging systemd with whatever
> dpkg --force-* it takes.
>

> ..the easiest way might be making 2 more "copy" guides, e.g.
> "Migrate from Debian Wheezy to Devuan (Beowulf) guide:" and
> "Migrate from Debian Squeeze and earlier to Devuan (Beowulf) guide:"
> and publish those once we have these tested ok.
>
> ..I sort of tested this way back when I found out Devuan Jessie was
> here, it took me going from "It's me, I wasted waaay too much time
> at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groklaw " to "Theodore Ts'o has
> problems with systemd???"

Hi,
I am trying to upgrade to Devuan Beowulf. The instructions for doing
this require Jessie sysvinit to be installed first. This is why I
needed the proper Jessie sources.list.

An update with the new sources.list gave some errors but apparently
worked ok. I installed sysvinit and rebooted as instructed. The reboot
hung at configuring network interfaces. (I am using static ip and
/e/n/i was already configured.) To get around the hang I booted my
original Jessie netinst DVD and instead of the installer Jessie booted
normally and top shows sysvinit is now PID 1. Sometimes life is
wonderful and will get even better without Trump!

After lunch I will continue the upgrade.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,
Fred