:: Re: [DNG] Configuring cron and exim…
Author: Marc Shapiro
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Configuring cron and exim4 to send e-mail after running cronjob

On 11/14/20 4:12 PM, dng@??? wrote:
> On 15-11-2020 01:03, Marc Shapiro via Dng wrote:
>> I use Thunderbird for e-mail, so I have never bothered with
>> configuring an MTA.
>>
>> I have a few lines in root's crontab to do periodic backups and I
>> would like to receive an e-mail when the job is completed.  I have
>> added a MAILTO line to my crontab with my gmail address.  The job
>> runs, the backup is created, but I do not receive any e-mail from
>> cron.  I am assuming that I need to run dpkg-reconfigure on
>> exim4-config, but I don't want to mess up my e-mail that is going
>> through Thunderbird.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to configure exim4-config to do this, or
>> provide a link that will rpovide this information?
>>

>> Marc

> Are you sure that your exim4 mta has not been simply denied access by
> Google because it has no static ip, spf, dkim etcetera? An alternative
> would be to use your isp smtp-server by configuring it as a smarthost
> like in this example
> https://www.4armed.com/blog/install-and-configure-exim-4-smtp-relay-via-smarthost-on-ubuntu/
>
> Grtz
>
> Nick

I tried running "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config".  I selected "Mail sent
by smarthost; no local mail" and then took all of the defaults.  I then
tried to send a test e-mail using the command shown in the link you
sent.  I get the response "Thunderbird 78.4.3" which is the version of
Thunderbird that I am running, but no e-mail gets through to my account.

Marc