:: Re: [DNG] HPLIP issues (SOLVED)
Author: Marc Shapiro
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] HPLIP issues (SOLVED)

On 11/13/20 7:56 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 11/13/20 12:09 AM, dng@??? wrote:
>> On 13-11-2020 07:21, Marc Shapiro via Dng wrote:
>>> Has anyone managed to get HPLIP isnstalled and fully running on
>>> Beowulf?
>>>
>>> hp-info works, with a gui interface.
>>>
>>> hp-levels works on the command-line from a terminal.
>>>
>>> hp-testpage brings up a gui and prints the testpage from there.
>>>
>>> hp-toolbox is missing its soft link to /usr/share/hplip/toolbox.py.
>>> When I create the link and try to run it, I get the following output:
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.18.12)
>>> HP Device Manager ver. 15.0
>>>
>>> Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
>>> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>>> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
>>> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>>>
>>> error: Unable to load DBus libraries. Please check your installation
>>> and try again.
>>> error: Please upgrade your python installation to the latest
>>> available version.
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>> I have Python v3.7 installed, which should be fine since the script
>>> calls for python3 (which links to python3.7 on my machine).  I don't
>>> know what it wants installed as far as DBus is concerned.
>>>
>>> Primarily, what I need is to check ink levels and general status,
>>> and that does work from the command line, but it would be more
>>> convenient if hp-toolbox worked, giving me GUI access to all of its
>>> functionality.
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated.
>>>

>>> Marc

>> Most likely you have to install python3-dbus 1.2.8-3 (see
>> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=python3-dbus)
>>
>> Grtz
>>
>> Nick
>>
> HPLIP installed it automatically, as a dependency.
>
> Marc

I looked, again, at the dependencies, recommends and suggested
packages.  The package hplip-gui is hiding all the way down in the
suggested packages, not even a recommends.  Looking at its description,
I saw that hp-toolkit is included in it.  So I deleted the link that I
put in for hp-toolkit and installed the package, which also brought in
python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 and python3-notify2.  That got it working.

I find it odd that some GUI programs were included in the main package,
while others (like toolbox, the main menu program for the package and 14
others) were shunted off into a separate package.

But it's working, now, and that's the important thing.

Thanks for the help.

Marc