:: Re: [DNG] [SOLVED] packages held ba…
Author: Eike Lantzsch
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [SOLVED] packages held back due to conflict with libsystemd0
On Sunday, 8 November 2020 11:33:01 -03 aitor wrote:
> Hi Eike,
>
> On 8/11/20 9:48, Eike Lantzsch via Dng wrote:
> > I still have snapshots around of my former ASCII installation and as
> > soon as I find the time I shall go through the process again and see
> > where it goes wrong or where I made a mistake.
>
> The origin of the problem might be between:
>
> { elogind, libpolkit-backend-elogind-1.0,
> libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1.0 }
>
> and:
>
> { consolekit, libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1.0,
> libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1.0 }
>
> Try upgrading the following packages first:
>
> # apt install --upgrade libpolkit-backend-elogind-1.0
> libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1.0
>
> before upgrading the whole system.
>
> Similar issue: http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=8496
> <http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=8496>
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Aitor.

The way I went:
1) restored the last snapshot I had of Devuan ASCII
2) upgraded to Beowulf literally according to
https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/en/upgrade-to-beowulf.html
This time I used apt-get as stated in the upgrade advisory.
Before I used apt which might have contributed to the hen-and-egg-
problem with libsystemd0 and libelogind0.
3) before the following step:
"In the event of any package failures you should fix the failed packages
then start the upgrade again.
root@devuan:~# apt-get -f install
root@devuan:~# apt-get dist-upgrade"
I checked libsystemd0 with aptitude. Yes, it was still installed after
the upgrade. libelogind0 was also installed.
4) deinstalled libsystemd0 with aptitude which also deinstalled an
amount of packages but also installed some package dependant on
libelogind0.
5) I did not *purge* libsystemd0
6) Went on with the steps:
"Users who migrated from ASCII and are using upower will need to
downgrade their upower packages to avoid problems like bug #394.
root@devuan:~# apt-get install --allow-downgrades upower/beowulf gir1.2-
upowerglib/beowulf
You may want to remove packages that were orphaned by the upgrade
process and old package archives.
root@devuan:~# apt-get autoremove --purge
root@devuan:~# apt-get autoclean"

This cleared the installation of obsolete KDE-packages 16.08 et all.
libsystemd0 config files were purged together with other dross.
openssh-server was upgraded dependant on libelogind0

Now I got a clean system again.

Lesson to be learned: follow the upgrade guide literally!

Thank you'all for your help!
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE