:: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
Quoting Lars Nood??n via Dng (dng@???):

> Google appears to be doing what it can to cut off not only MUAs like

                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Thunderbird but also competing mail providers.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I believe you mean (specifically) cut off from access to GMail
send/receive access by GMail users, as an alternative to using GMail's
proprietary WebUI. Yes, that's very strongly my understanding, too.

Of course, my own way of eliminating GMail problems is: Don't use
GMail, and you thereby magically avoid GMail problems. ;->

> It's increasingly hard to exchange e-mail between lesser known providers
> or even self-hosted servers and GMail accounts.

This does _not_ accord with my experience. In my experience, if you run
a spam-clean and RFC-compliant SMTP operation and take modest
anti-forgery measures (such as my domains' strongly asserted SPF RR),
your mail domain will have no problem bidirectionally communicating with
GMail / Googlemail -- without spamboxing or teergrubing, etc.

I keep monitoring this situation, and it may change, but that is still
my honest assessment from many decades of self-hosted SMTP smarthost
operation.

--
Cheers,         "I suppose the process of acceptance will pass through the usual
Rick Moen       four stages: (i) This is worthless nonsense; (ii) This is an