:: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
On 10/25/20 7:20 AM, Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 23/10/2020 08:04, Simon Walter wrote:
>> Has any of you TB users (assuming there are any here} done this
>> migration? How is the new shiny? Is it fine? Shall I forget about TB?
>> Any suggestions of what could replace it?
>
> I'm not in a hurry to do it. I want to let the bugs get very thoroughly
> sorted out first.

I suppose I can stick to 68 for a while yet.

> The reason for this change is that Thunderbird is deprecating all its
> old addons (the entire ecosystem) and Enigmail won't work on the new
> Thunderbird. It's less than satisfactory.

Yes, I understand the reasons. They may make sense for FF. Though, I
don't know if they apply to TB.

> Note that Thunderbird is no longer being developed in-house by Mozilla.
> They cast it adrift several years ago for development by the community.
> For several years nothing much happened but, more recently,
> Thunderbird's structure has been formalised in a corporation that is now
> a wholly owned subsidiary of Mozilla Foundation.
>
> If you think this sounds like Mozilla are still developing it I'd
> understand but, in fact, it is now separate and has its own governing
> council. Where the corporate leadership come from I am less than clear.

That's interesting and may be a good thing. I should do more
investigation. I recommend TB to most of my clients. I want to make sure
that is still a good recommendation.