:: Re: [DNG] Xorg stopped working afte…
Author: spiralofhope
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Xorg stopped working after upgrade to Beowulf
On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 20:30:53 +0200
viverna <viverna@???> wrote:

> or xinit with custom command line, for example:
> xinit /home/user/.xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc :0 vt2 -keeptty

I had some entertainment dealing with this problem over the years.
When I switched to Devuan I had to tinker a bit. I can't remember any
of the details, but this is what I ended with in my zsh login script:

string="$TTY"
# I don't know why this works, even though $TTY is actually /dev/pts1
pattern='/dev/tty'
tty_to_use=''
# I could rewrite this in POSIX sh if someone needs
tty_to_use="${string##${pattern}}"
tty_to_use="${string##*${pattern}}"

xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X :$(( tty_to_use - 1 )) \
vt"$tty_to_use" -auth "$( \tempfile --prefix='serverauth.' )"

logout

----

If anyone really really wants to dig through my history of desperate
experimentation throughout multiple Linuxes:

https://github.com/spiralofhope/shell-random/commits/master/live/zsh/dot_zsh/4-login.sh