:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On 2020-09-22 17:25, Antony Stone wrote:

> If you're writing portable scripts you don't want to rely on symlinks
> pointing to the same targets on everything.
>
> If your scripts aren't (intended to be) portable, then it really
> doesn't matter - do what you like in the privacy of your own machine.

I worry about a different kind of portability. If I ever have to switch
to BSD (and this remains a possibility, unfortunately), /bin/* shebangs
will not work except for /bin/sh, and /bin/sh is always ash. That is
because on BSD everything not in the core system goes into /usr/local.

Therefore, I made symlinks /usr/local/bin/{bash,dash} and the shebangs
in my newly written scripts reference those. I am not religious about
converting every old script to the new usage, but I do update them when
they require maintenance.

--
Ian