:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] POSIX shell scripting (was: Danger: Debian POSIX hostility)
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:33:12 +0100
Peter Duffy <peter@???> wrote:

> My main feeling was one of frustration: bash's new features were
> introduced as an improvement, not as a deliberate violation of
> standards. Ubuntu/Debian's defaulting to dash just seemed like an act
> of puritanism.

I wouldn't call it puritanism. Bash is a wonderful interactive shell: I
would never want to be without it. But it's huge, a little slower to
load, and it has a lot of nooks and crannies for bugs to hide. Dash is
meant to be a programming language, loads faster, and is less likely to
have bugs. My preference is to use the best interactive shell for
interacting, and the best programming shell for programs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive